This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy strawberry shortcake recipe with homemade biscuits from scratch. Classic dessert layered with fresh strawberries and a big dollop of whipped cream.
Don't you just love berry season? Every year around this time I have to make all the things with delicious fresh-picked strawberries, including strawberry shortcake.
Because who doesn't love an easy strawberry shortcake recipe, especially when it involves Grandma's biscuits?
Speaking of Grandma's biscuits… Grandma always kept a slip of paper taped to the inside of her cabinet door, and that slip of paper held her favorite biscuit recipe, handwritten in her own handwriting. My mom now has that same slip of paper taped to the inside of her cabinet door, and I'm considering doing the same.
We love making these biscuits. They can be rolled out or dropped.
Add the sweet, juicy strawberries and a big dollop of whipped cream, and you're ready for dessert!
WHERE CAN I FIND THE ACTUAL RECIPE CARD?
If you’d rather skip all of my tips for making strawberry shortcake, important info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the strawberry shortcake recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE BISCUITS
Making shortcake biscuits is really easy, especially because they're more like drop biscuits and don't require any rolling.
One Important Tip Before You Mix: I like to add in a teaspoon of sugar just to add a li'l sweetness to the recipe since I'm using the biscuits for dessert.
To make the biscuits…
- Just mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Then cut the butter in, using a pastry blender.
- Add the milk, and mix the dough up really well.
I actually grab spoonfuls of the dough at this point and shape the biscuits by hand, so they're more like drop biscuits. Makes the process so much easier than rolling out dough and having to clean it all up.
Then bake the biscuits according to the instructions on the recipe card below.
Now you can make this a Bisquick strawberry shortcake if you want and just use biscuit mix instead. But there's definitely something wonderful about Grandma's biscuits.
LET'S TALK ABOUT THE STRAWBERRIES
When it comes to strawberries, you really want to use fresh strawberries to make strawberry shortcake. Fresh, juicy strawberries will give you the best results.
Frozen strawberries tend to be more mushy when thawed, and they won't have the flavors that fresh berries have.
WHAT ABOUT THE WHIPPED CREAM?
You can use homemade whipped cream, or you can even use store bought. The choice is up to you.
Personally, I prefer to make it because I like to add a little cream cheese to my whipped cream… Cream cheese is the best and just gives it a little more flavor and oomph.
HOW TO LAYER STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE TOGETHER
Once the biscuits are cooked and have cooled, layering your shortcakes together is really simple.
- Slice your biscuit in half.
- Place the bottom half of the biscuit on a plate. Then add a layer of freshly sliced strawberries, a big dollop of whipped cream, and another layer of strawberries.
- Top it off with the top half of your biscuit.
- Add a little whipped cream to the top, and maybe even top it off with a whole strawberry.
And that's pretty much it! It's so easy, anyone can make it. In fact, this easy strawberry shortcake would be the perfect dessert for a spring or summer party buffet, where guests create their own shortcake dessert.
CAN YOU FREEZE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE?
Pretty much all of the ingredients – the biscuits, strawberries, and whipped cream – can be frozen.
However, I would definitely freeze them separately if you feel the need to do so. Also, make sure everything is covered well or stored in an airtight container so nothing gets freezer burn.
WANT MORE STRAWBERRY DESSERTS?
- Strawberry Jello Cake
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Blackberry and Strawberry Muffins
- Berry Fruit Cups
- How to Make Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats
SHOP KITCHEN TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE:
Pastry Blender – This helps with mixing the biscuits.
Baking Sheet – My baking sheet comes in handy for so many things, including making biscuits.
Over-the-Sink Colander – This comes in handy for rinsing the berries after you’ve washed/soaked them.
Paring Knife – Yet another one of those handy kitchen tools I couldn’t live without, perfect for slicing the berries.
GET THE PRINTABLE RECIPE
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest!
Find my original recipe for old-fashioned strawberry shortcake over at Adventures of Mel!
CONNECT WITH FLOUR ON MY FINGERS!
Be sure to follow me on social, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
- For the biscuits, mix together the dry ingredients, including the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Use a pastry blender to blend the dry ingredients together with cold, sliced butter. Continue until the mixture is well blended.
- Add milk to the mixture, and mix well. You should be left with a somewhat sticky but still manageable dough.
- Grab spoonfuls of dough and shape into biscuits about 3/4 inch thick. Place on an un-greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for about 15-20 minutes, or until the tops of the biscuits begin to turn golden.
- Meanwhile, wash, stem, and slice the strawberries.
- Once the biscuits have cooled, slice a biscuit in half.
- Place the bottom half of a biscuit on a plate. Add a layer of sliced strawberries, followed by a generous layer of whipped cream, then another layer of sliced strawberries. Top with the top half of the biscuit.
- Add a small dollop of whipped cream to the top, followed by a whole strawberry.
- Serve and enjoy!
*You can use store bought whipped cream or homemade whipped cream; the choice is up to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 329mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 6g