This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy homemade strawberry pie recipe, made the old fashioned way with no gelatin. Simple, classic, no bake dessert with a fresh berry filling and glaze.
Every year we try to pick enough strawberries to make a couple batches of strawberry jam and make a strawberry pie or two.
When Dan and I were first married, we loved to celebrate special occasions with a fresh strawberry pie from our local Marie Callender's restaurant. Their pie had a strawberry glaze that coated all the berries, and it was so delicious.
Now I've come up with my own strawberry pie filling that's reminiscent of our favorite treat back in the day.
This pie is so simple and easy to make. Just need a pie crust, fresh berries, and a handful of ingredients for the glaze.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE ACTUAL RECIPE CARD?
If you’d rather skip all of my tips for making homemade strawberry pie, important info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card.
BUT FIRST, THE PIE CRUST
You will need the foundation for your pie, a single pie crust, baked and ready to go, for this recipe. You can make a homemade pie crust, or you can just buy a ready made crust at the grocery store.
Sometimes I even like to make a family favorite, a pie crust with pecans or crushed pretzels. It gives the pie even more of an oomph, and like my favorite press in pie crust, it doesn’t have to be rolled either.
Or you can skip a regular crust altogether and make a graham cracker crust instead.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY PIE FILLING
The strawberry pie glaze (or filling) makes this dessert what it is. It's the life of the party, so to say.
Making a no bake strawberry pie without Jello requires just a few steps, but it's still super easy to do. The following steps will show you how to thicken pie filling using corn starch.
- Whisk the corn starch and water together in a small glass measuring cup. This will ensure there are no lumps in the glaze.
- Next, add the corn starch mixture together with the sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Mix in the strawberry purée. (It's important to use fresh berries because they don’t have near the amount of water that frozen berries will have. And they have better flavor.) Bring the entire mixture to a boil on low to medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula to avoid scorching.
- Once it boils, cook it for another 3 to 5 more minutes, or until the mixture turns a deep red color. It'll also thicken up at this point.
Then set the mixture aside and allow it to cool. I sometimes place mine in the freezer or fridge for a good 20 to 30 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY PIE
Once, you've made the filling and it's cooled and ready to go, there are a few steps to assemble your pie.
- Wash and hull fresh strawberries and slice them.
- Pour the glaze over your berries and mix it all up together forming a delicious strawberry pie filling.
- Have your pie shell baked, cooled, and ready to go.
- Pour the berry filling into the prepared pie crust and spread it out evenly. It'll likely mound up and completely fill the pie plate.
At this point, I recommend chilling the pie for at least 3 to 5 hours or overnight. This will allow the pie filling to stiffen just a bit and allow the juices to run into the pie crust, making for an even more flavorful and delicious dessert.
When you're ready to serve the pie, it's very yummy with a big ole dollop of whipped cream on each slice. Or it pairs really well with our favorite homemade vanilla ice cream recipe.
CAN STRAWBERRY PIE BE FROZEN?
It can, but I don't really recommend freezing a fresh strawberry pie unless it's just absolutely necessary.
It will likely change the texture of the berries and the consistency of the pie filling if you do so.
SHOP KITCHEN TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE:
Over-the-Sink Colander – This comes in handy for rinsing the berries after you’ve washed/soaked them.
Paring Knife – Yet another one of those handy kitchen tools I couldn’t live without, perfect for slicing the berries.
Blender – for puréeing the berries.
Spatula – Where would I be without my spatulas? I have a whole slew of them because we’re ALWAYS using them.
Pie Plate – Definitely needed to make a pie, and it’s even better when it’s pretty.
GET THE PRINTABLE RECIPE
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH FLOUR ON MY FINGERS!
Be sure to follow me on social, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
- Whisk the corn starch and water together in a small glass measuring cup.
- Add the corn starch mixture together with the sugar in a medium to large saucepan.
- Mix in the strawberry purée.
- Bring the mixture to a boil on low to medium heat, constantly stirring with a spatula to avoid scorching.
- Once the mixture boils, cook it for 3 to 5 more minutes, or until it thickens and turns a deep red.
- Remove the strawberry sauce from the heat, and allow it to cool.*
- Wash and hull fresh strawberries and slice them.
- Once the strawberry sauce has cooled enough, mix the sliced strawberries into the sauce.
- Pour the berry filling into the prepared pie crust and spread it out evenly. It’ll likely mound up and completely fill the pie plate.
- Chill the pie for at least 3 to 5 hours or overnight. This will allow the pie filling to stiffen just a bit and allow the juices to run into the pie crust, making for an even more flavorful and delicious strawberry pie.
- When you're ready to serve, cut the pie into slices and serve with whipped cream.
*I like to put my strawberry sauce in the fridge or freezer to cool more quickly. About 30 minutes in the freezer (with occasional stirring) will cool it enough that you can finish making the dessert.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 93mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 4gSugar: 35gProtein: 3g