This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to make the best no bake peanut butter Rice Krispie treats. They're soft and chewy, gooey with marshmallows, and such an easy recipe to make with kids.
My middle child loves it when I make Rice Krispie treats. Add a little peanut butter in, making them peanut butter rice crispy treats, and he's in heaven.
My favorite thing about this recipe is that you only need 6 ingredients to make it. And there's no baking involved, just a little bit of stove time.
I prefer to use creamy peanut butter to make these peanut butter Rice Krispie bars, but you can use crunchy too.
Other than the peanut butter, though, this recipe is very similar to our favorite Rice Krispie treats recipe.
WHERE CAN I FIND THE ACTUAL RECIPE CARD?
If you’d rather skip all of my tips, important info for this recipe, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to the peanut butter Rice Krispie treats recipe – just scroll down to the bottom, where you’ll find a printable recipe card with a longer how to video.
WHAT KIND OF MARSHMALLOWS SHOULD YOU USE TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER MARSHMALLOW RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
You do have to melt the marshmallows before mixing everything together with the Rice Krispies cereal. Because of this, the mini marshmallows are an easier choice, as they melt a lot quicker than the jumbo marshmallows.
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER RICE KRISPIE TREATS
You can use pretty much any crispy rice cereal for this peanut butter Rice Krispie squares recipe, whether you choose to use the original Rice Krispies cereal, a generic brand, or a store brand.
Quick Tip: Make sure you use salted butter over margarine. Butter will give your marshmallow treats a richer flavor and texture.
Before you get started, prepare your baking dish by generously spraying it with cooking spray.
Making marshmallow treats is a quick 4 step process…
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan or Dutch oven on the stovetop.
- Then add in the vanilla extract, salt, and mini marshmallows.
- Continue to heat and stir the mixture until the marshmallows have completely melted; then remove from heat, and stir in the peanut butter.
- Once the peanut butter is melted and fully stirred into the marshmallow mixture, stir in the Rice Krispies.
Finally, just spread the peanut butter Rice Krispie treats into a greased baking dish and let them cool.
CREATIVE IDEAS FOR THESE PEANUT BUTTER TREATS
Chocolate and peanut butter pretty much go hand in hand, so here are a few ideas with ways to dress up your homemade treats.
- Top your peanut butter Rice Krispie treats with chocolate topping, using melted chocolate.
- Drizzle the treats with melted white chocolate.
- Mix things in… For instance, make peanut butter Rice Krispie treats with chocolate chips, Reese's Pieces, peanut butter cups, M&M's, etc.
- Mix peanuts or other favorite kinds of nuts into the mixture for a sweet and salty flavor.
HOW TO KEEP RICE KRISPIE TREATS SOFT
Unfortunately, Rice Krispie treats are one of those desserts that after 2 or 3 days will start to harden up and be either extra chewy or rock solid.
Two ways to keep them soft are by using fresh ingredients, especially the marshmallows and cereal, and by cooking the marshmallow mixture on low to medium heat.
Also, use lots of marshmallows. If you're using 6 cups of cereal (as in the case with this recipe), you'll want the same amount of marshmallows, so a 1:1 ratio.
And finally, another way to keep them soft is to store them properly, which brings me to my next point.
HOW TO STORE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
And as I mentioned, you'll probably want to eat them within the first 2 or 3 days.
CAN YOU FREEZE RICE KRISPIE TREATS?
You can if you need to. And then get them out with at least half an hour to thaw before serving.
Be sure when freezing them, though, that you store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. And you might even put wax paper or parchment paper between the layers of treats so they don't stick together.
MORE RICE KRISPIE TREAT FUN:
Celebrating with a Halloween party? These Frankenstein marshmallow treats make a great last minute treat!
SHOP KITCHEN TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
Heat-Resistant Spatula – This one is my go to spatula.
GET THE PRINTABLE RECIPE
If you love this recipe as much as we do, please write a 5 star review, and help me share the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH ADVENTURES OF MEL!
Be sure to follow me on social, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive my newsletter, filled with delicious recipes and outdoor travel adventures, in your inbox:
- Grease a 9″x13″ baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pot or Dutch oven on the stovetop.
- Stir the vanilla extract and salt into the butter.
- Add the mini marshmallows to the melted butter mixture, stirring until the marshmallows have fully melted.**
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and stir in the peanut butter until it's completely melted.
- Then quickly stir in the Rice Krispies cereal.
- Spread the Rice Krispies mixture into the greased baking dish and allow it to cool.
- Cut into serving size pieces and serve!
*You can use pretty much any crisp rice cereal, whether you choose to use the original Rice Krispies cereal, a generic brand, or a store brand.
**You can use big or mini marshmallows, but I highly recommend mini marshmallows, since they'll be a lot quicker and easier to melt.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 170mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 12g Protein: 3g